Notre Dame Cathedral went up in flames Monday in a roaring blaze that devastated the Parisian landmark, a searing loss for the town and for France.
Listed here are 5 information on the Gothic masterpiece that celebrated its 850th jubilee in 2013:
* The primary stone of the Notre-Dame de Paris (“Our Girl of Paris”) cathedral was laid in 1163 within the reign of Louis VII, because the medieval metropolis of Paris was rising in inhabitants and significance, each as a political and financial middle of the dominion of France.
* Building would proceed for a lot of the following century, with main restoration and additions made within the 17th and 18th century. The stonework and stained glass of the edifice recreate pictures and classes from the Bible.
* Dominating the construction are its two 13th century bell towers. The so-called “bourdon,” the biggest bell, goes by the identify of “Emmanuel.”
* The 387 steps as much as the towers take guests previous the gallery of chimeras, legendary creatures usually composed of a couple of animal. Essentially the most well-known of those, the “Stryge” gargoyle sits atop the cathedral watching Paris with its head resting in its arms.
* Victor Hugo used the cathedral as a setting for his 1831 novel, “The Hunchback of Notre-Dame.” Quasimodo, the primary character, is feared by Parisians due to his deformity however finds sanctuary within the cathedral and is employed as a bell-ringer. Quasimodo has been portrayed by Hollywood actors together with Charles Laughton and in addition in an animated Disney adaptation.